Sunday, May 23, 2010

Hat In Hand

I suppose I should be grateful. I've lived in the city almost 18 years, and this is the first time something truly bad has happened to me. Every time I would hear about a friend or even a stranger getting mugged, robbed, car broken into, I'd think about my good luck. But the pessimist in me would be thinking that my time was coming.

Well, that time has arrived.

My apartment was broken into on Friday while I was at work being a productive member of society. He/they stole my laptop, my digital camera, and some prescription drugs that I was really looking forward to using in a recreational manner this weekend. He/they destroyed some stuff that has huge emotional weight with me and zero financial meaning to anyone.

I'm sad. Hurt. Bewildered and paranoid. Last night involved a weird kind of nesting involving throwing things away that is a little disconcerting and confusing to me.

There are some humorous bits, like me buying new locks and promptly locking myself out. That's a story for another time though. It's easy for me to write about something that I find amusing, in which I usually do something stupid. The painful stuff is very, very difficult to write about.

I don't earn a ton of money, so replacing the stuff is going to be a burden. My friend Amy suggested Chipin.com to me, and that's the ultimate push of this post.




Didn't think there would be a sales pitch, didja?

Begging doesn't come easy to me, and this is all a little embarrassing to me. But if you find yourself with a dollar or two to spare, I hope you'd consider sliding them my way. I will replace my laptop, and I'll even write a post in which I praise your virtue and general awesomeness if you would like.

I'll fill in details about the incident when I'm able to sort them out properly in my head. In the meantime, thanks for reading, and take care of one another.

No comments: